Project BrainSafe Helmet Program
As an effort within Project BrainSafe, we have taken over the ownership of the bike helmet program that was originally started as an offshoot of the BLEND program in Central Minnesota. Our aims are similar in that we are advocating, educating and enabling risk reduction through strong helmet habits starting as early.
The original focus of this program was, and still is helmets related to biking, skateboarding, and skating. Project BrainSafe will be looking to enlarge this program in ’16/’17 to encompass winter sports (skiing & boarding) and other year round activities as well, so be on the lookout for those updates…ideally through subscribing to our newsletter.
Helmet Safety – The Facts
Each year, roughly 600,000 people suffer from bicycle-related injuries that require emergency room treatment – 250 of these are children who will die from their injuries. Helmets have been shown to reduce the risk of head injuries by upwards of 85% and brain injury upwards of 88%, and estimates state that 75% of bicycle-related deaths could have been prevented by wearing a properly fitted helmet. Annually, if we look at this by the numbers, the use of bicycle helmets by children ages 4 to 15 could prevent:
- 135 – 155 deaths
- 39,000 – 45,000 head injuries
- 18,000 – 55,000 scalp & facial injuries
Helmet Fitment – The Right Way
Helmets should comfortably touch the head all the way around, sitting level and stable enough to stay in place during violent shakes and hard blows. Not every helmet will fit every individual correctly. When purchasing a helmet be sure to:
- Place the helmet level on the head, not tilted.
- Have the strap underneath the chin fit comfortably, but snug and touching the skin.
- Secure the helmet to the point that twisting and tugging cannot remove it.
- Always replace any helmet that has been involved in a crash. Damage is not always visible, but the protective foam of the helmet loses its integrity.
*Figures and information shared from the Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute
Project BrainSafe Helmet Program (#Helmet Habit)
Project BrainSafe, in partnership with The CentraCare Health Foundation and Revolution Bike & Ski, provide:
- Complimentary helmet fittings and education
- A limited supply of available for a reduced cost (aimed at ages 3 years – 12 years). All helmets are of high quality and safety certified.
- Presence at bike rodeos, community events, etc. as able upon request.
- To arrange to have us at your event or inquire about helmet availability, please contact the program at (320) 229-5020 or firstname.lastname@example.org